2013

1.03.2013

i have to say, i'm pretty pleased that the world didn't end in december. I know that's a completely ridiculous statement and i never actually believed the world would end. so, in a non-related sort of way, i sure am glad we're all still here and that we've opened the door and made ourselves comfortable in 2013.



last year, every time i said the year out loud, 2012, i followed up by saying the future, even though it was obviously the present. because, doesn't 2012 (and now 2013) sound like the future? for someone who grew up in the 80's and remembers bad technology, 2012 (and now 2013) really is some far off, distant future. 

well, here we are. living in the future.

i rang in 2013 by sleeping through it. on purpose. jordan and i couldn't spend the evening in the same city, so i decided to treat myself to a great night's sleep and enter the new year without feeling hungover, over-indulged or with any oops/regretful feelings. i went to yoga on new year's day where we did 12 sun salutations, one for each month of 2012 and then i got a massage. a brilliant start to 2013.

as far as resolutions go, i'm with tolly... i usually break them. i started reading her blog a few years ago and really love her idea of setting a word for the new year. instead of making a list of rules to follow for the year (which never works for me, because as soon as i make the list i devise plans to break all the rules), she sets a word. a word to make decisions by and with. an intention of sorts.



a few weeks ago, i began thinking about what my word might be and what i'd like to accomplish.

create.

i'd like to create opportunities for myself professionally, personally, in my relationship, in my artistic and writing life and my spirituality.

maybe it's the season, or the common age... or just a need for new... because tolly's word is also create - with a twist, of course.

so, here's to a year of creation and creative energy, in the many forms in which they come!

what's your word?

5 comments:

  1. my word is "get-a-new-fucking-job-ASAP" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, i'm putting that out there with you. ASAP.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, Layla. That's also my word for 2013. I also had very a low key NYE: so worth it. Funny the things that matter now... as we get a tiny bit older ;) A spontaneous celebration without so much expectation takes precedence; I'll save my energy for a night like that. Yoga + massage is a perfect way to bring in 2012. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS 2013! Ha. That always takes a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I think mine will be manifest. Thank you for this reminder to be intentional! Oh and let's hang out!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

mother/father's daughter All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger